Lemon Angel Food Cake. This American cake is incredibly light as it's made with whisked egg whites and no fat. Mary Berry decorates her version with homemade lemon curd and passion fruit seeds. Adding preserved lemon juice to lemon curd is the brilliant brainchild of Samantha Kincaid, the pastry chef of the restaurant High Street on Hudson.
Jump to the Light Lemon Angel Food Cake Recipe or read on to see our tips for making it. Next we add sugar and beat until thick and shiny and finally we gently fold in flour. Cake Flour: Cake flour is a low protein flour and yields a tender angel food cake. You can have Lemon Angel Food Cake using 7 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Lemon Angel Food Cake
- Prepare 1 1/2 cups of egg whites about 10 to 12 eggs.
- Prepare 1 1/2 teaspoons of cream of tartar.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest.
- It’s 1 1/2 cups of sugar.
- Prepare 1 cup of cake flour.
Do not use all-purpose flour because the cake will taste like white Without it, the cake would collapse. Other acids, such as lemon juice, can work but they aren't nearly as effective. Cream of tartar is found in the spice. Remember Mom's heavenly angel food cake?
Lemon Angel Food Cake instructions
- Preheat 350.
- Food process sugar until super fine. Sift half of the sugar with salt and cake flour. Set remaining sugar aside to be added to whites..
- Combine egg whites (room temp), vanilla, cream of tartar, lemon zest. Stir on med high speed until stiff peaks form, about 4 minutes.
- Reduce speed and add remaining sugar until just combined..
- Gradually sprinkle in cake flour and hand fold into the mixture a little at a time. Don't over mix..
- SPOON batter into a 9 or 10 inch ungreased tube pan and bee for 35 minutes until top is golden brown and springs back when touched..
- Cool Completely..
- Lemon Glaze — combine 1 cup confectioners sugar and 3-4 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest..
Ours has the same ethereal texture (due to egg whites) but with a bright burst of lemon flavor, thanks to This is the first homemade food cake I have made and it was very simple and very very delicious! I was worried it would either have too much or too little. A neighbor gave me this recipe years ago and it's been in flavor rotation ever since. It can be made ahead and serves a bunch, so it's perfect for parties and potlucks. —Marina Castle, Canyon Country, California. This slightly sweet and vanilla scented Angel Food Cake is the perfect vehicle for juicy berries, lemon curd, or luscious whipped cream!