Butternut mandazi (swahili donuts). Mandazi is a form of fried dough. Mandazi originates from East African Coast areas and is very popular in the East African region. Mandazi – an original east African doughnut recipe made of coconut and cardamom infused yeast dough.
This easy butternut squash soup with deep beautiful flavors will. Mandazi, from Kenya, is a staple bread of the Swahili people. Some housewives make it every morning for breakfast. You can have Butternut mandazi (swahili donuts) using 9 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Butternut mandazi (swahili donuts)
- Prepare 2 cup of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 1 tsp of baking powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of cardamon spice.
- It’s 2 of eggs.
- You need 1 of butternut or pumpkin.
- You need 3 tbsp of butter or margarine.
- It’s 1 of vegetable oil for frying.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of sugar.
- It’s 1 pinch of salt.
It can be eaten cold or reheated for dinner. These simple donuts from East Africa, known as mandazi, have a hint of cardamom and can be served as a sweet treat or alongside curry. By The Cook in Coconut Milk Dishes, Doughnut Recipes, Kenyan Cuisine and Recipes, Recipes with Video, Tanzanian Cuisine and Mandazi are similar to doughnuts, having a little bit of a sweet taste which can be differentiated with the addition of different ingredients. Mandazi: East African doughnuts with a slightly crunchy exterior and light fluffy interior.
Butternut mandazi (swahili donuts) instructions
- Boil the butternut or pumpkin. Then peel it..
- Mash up.
- In a large bowl add the eggs, melted butter, cardamon spice, baking powder, sugar and a pitch of salt. Mix up.
- Mix up the ingredients and later add the mash.
- Keep adding the flour to the mix until the dough forms and becomes soft.
- Once done, Cover with a plastic paper bag of dump cloth. Leave over night or for 8 to 12 hours.
- Spilt the dough into two. And roll it flat not too thin not too thick. Cut into strip and later into squares.
- Add oil in a sauce pan and heat it. Once hot. Deep it the squares in the oil. Fry until browned.
- Serve it for breakfast or as a snack.
Perfect for pairing with tea or coffee. Cardamom makes these doughnuts really special. The cardamom in this Mandazi gives it great flavor and also gives it an authentic Kenyan taste. African Doughnuts Coconut Mandazi Kenya Street Food Kenyan Breakfast Mahamri Mandazi. Deep fry making sure to keep splashing the hot oil on the top of the mandazi so that it puffs up.