Chili Con Carne.
You can cook Chili Con Carne using 19 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Chili Con Carne
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Red Chili Powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Chipotle Powder.
- You need 2 tsp of Ground Oregano.
- It’s 1 tsp of Thyme.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Ground Cumin.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Ground Coriander Seeds.
- It’s 4 tbsp of Wster.
- It’s 6 slice of Bacon.
- Prepare 1 1/2 lb of Chuck Roast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- It’s 1 dash of Salt – to taste.
- It’s 1 medium of Onion.
- It’s 3 clove of Garlic, minced.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Freshly Squeezed Lime Juce.
- Prepare 2 of Jalapeño Peppers, minced – seeds, stems, & ribs removed.
- You need 1 can of 14oz whole tomatos.
- Prepare 2 1/2 cup of Water.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Sugar.
- It’s 1 can of 14oz Red Kidney Beans – Drained.
- You need 1 tsp of Cornstarch dissolved in 2Tbsp water.
Chili Con Carne step by step
- In a small bowl mix first 6 ingredients with water to form light paste. Set aside.
- Cook bacon in large skillet on medium heat until crisp. Remove and set aside on a paper towel. Pour fat into separate container, reserve. When bacon cools, crumble it and set aside..
- Increase heat to medium high and add 2Tbsp bacon fat back to pan. Lightly season and brown beef in small batches to avoid steaming. Remove from pan an set aside.
- Add another Tbsp of bacon fat to pan and add chopped onion. Saute until soft, ~5 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeño, cook till fragrant, ~1 minute. Add chili paste and cook for 2-3 minutes..
- Into a 6-quart thick-bottomed Dutch oven put chili mixture, beef, bacon, tomatoes (break up with hands), water, lime juice and sugar. Turn on high heat and bring mixture to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours stirring occasionally. then uncover and cook 1/2 hours maintaining a simmer..
- Mix cornstarch into a little water to dissolve and add to chili to thicken. Mix in beans and add salt to taste..
- Serve over rice topped with cheese and corn tortilla strips..