Light Fruit Cake.
You can cook Light Fruit Cake using 16 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Light Fruit Cake
- It’s 3/4 cup (120 grams) of candied mixed peel.
- You need 1/2 cup (100 grams) of candied red or green cherries (cut into quarters).
- Prepare 1/3 cup (40 grams) of dark raisins.
- Prepare 2-3 tablespoons of Grand Marnier, rum, brandy, or sherry (optional).
- It’s 1/2 cup (113 grams) of unsalted butter, room temperature.
- It’s 1/2 cup (100 grams) of granulated white sugar.
- You need 3 of large eggs, room temperature.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of pure almond extract.
- You need 1 1/2 cups (195 grams) of all-purpose flour.
- Prepare 1/2 cup (50 grams) of ground almonds (almond meal/flour).
- You need 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoons of salt.
- It’s of Zest of one small lemon (outer skin).
- You need 1/4 cup (60 ml) of milk (whole or reduced fat).
- It’s of Some flaked almonds for decoration.
Light Fruit Cake step by step
- In a large bowl, combine candied mixed peel, cherries, and dark raisins. Mix well. Stir in the brandy to coat the fruit. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let stand at room temperature at least 1 day(up to 2 days) to macerate the fruit, stirring occasionally..
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C), with the oven rack in the center of the oven. Butter, or spray with a nonstick vegetable spray, a 9 x 5 x 3 inch (23 x 13 x 8 cm) loaf pan..
- In a separate bowl, whisk dried ingredients together the flour, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest..
- In a large bowl of stand mixer and using the paddle attachment, beat the butter until creamy. Gradually add the sugar and beat until mixture is light and creamy. Beat in the egg one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula to ensure ingredients are all incorporated. Beat 1 additional minute..
- Beat in the extracts. Add the candied and dried fruits, along with any juices, and beat until incorporated. Beat in half the flour mixture just until incorporated. Add almond flour, then beat in the milk and then the remaining flour mixture. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and, if desired, decorate the top of the cake with flaked almonds..
- Bake for about 60 – 70 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cover with a piece of aluminum foil if you find the cake is browning too much! Remove the cake from the oven. Let it cool down in the baking tin. Cut into slices and serve..