Easy California Roll. Easy recipes and cooking hacks right to your inbox. California rolls are usually made inside-out – rice on the outside, nori (seaweed) on the inside – making them easier to eat. There is some debate as to where the California roll was invented.
Who knew that making California Sushi Rolls at home was easy? Ditch the sushi restaurant and make your own California Rolls in the convenience of your own home! Most of the ingredients for California rolls are easy to find, but here are a few things that you California Roll. You can cook Easy California Roll using 7 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Easy California Roll
- It’s 1 packages of Imitation Crab sticks.
- Prepare 1 packages of Nori (dried seaweed paper).
- Prepare 1 of each cucumber.
- You need 1 of each Avocado.
- Prepare of Sesame seed.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of Sushi rice.
- You need 2 cup of water.
Most versions of California Roll include crab and avocado. Although I prefer using real crab meat, if you don't have access to fresh seafood, imitation crab (a.k.a. surimi) will do in a pinch. A California roll is one of the most popular ways to enjoy sushi, and this easy roll will bring sushi right to your kitchen. Enjoy the hearty and delicious flavors of fresh sushi by recreating it with mitation.
Easy California Roll step by step
- Add rice to water in pot and bring to soft boil. Cover and reduce to low for 20 minutes.
- Peel cucumber and slice into 1/2 inch sticks.
- Cut avocado in half (careful of seed) and "spoon" out then cut halves into 1/4 inch slices.
- Prepare workstation with bamboo mat or a towel with wax paper.
- If the rice still cooking you can search some Youtube videos on how to roll sushi to get a better explanation.
- Once rice is done, take a piece of nori and place it on bamboo mat or wax paper shiny side down and smear rice over 3/4 of the nori.
- Sprinkle some sesame seed over 1/2 of the rice opposite of the exposed nori.
- Flip the nori over so that all the rice is opposite of you, in other words the nori without rice is towards you, and place one piece of cucumber, some crab sticks to fit end to end, and about 3-4 pieces of avocado.
- Start to roll sushi pressing firmly and peeling back bamboo mat until rolled, at the end give a good press on the sushi.
- Using a sharp knife slice the sushi into 8 pieces.
- Another variant would be after adding the rice to nori, instead of flipping the nori over just place the filling right on the rice and roll. This version has the seaweed on the outside and the rice on the inside.
- The sauce pictured is a small blend of mayonnaise, sriracha, and cayenne powder squeezed through the corner of a zip lock bag.
Learn the secrets to rolling the perfect California roll. In this video, you'll meet sushi chef Hitoshi, who will show you how to make a beautiful California roll. How the California roll originally got created. It actually does have a very interesting history. I keep my California Rolls extremely simple: avocado, cucumber and imitation crab rolled up in seasoned sushi rice and nori (roasted seaweed).