Temari sushi (sushi balls). Celebrate happy occasions with these colorful ball-shaped Temari Sushi! Easily the prettiest sushi you can make at home. They make the perfect sushi to serve if you're hosting a party or potluck.
This is where this type of sushi gets its name, because it's a small "hand ball" of sushi. Beautifully hand-pressed balls of sushi goodness, temari sushi is the perfect party food. Sometimes also called temarizushi, it's made from sushi rice that's perfectly rounded by hand and made with decorative toppings. You can cook Temari sushi (sushi balls) using 3 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Temari sushi (sushi balls)
- It’s 2 cups of cooked white rice (sushi rice).
- It’s 4 tbsp of sushinoko powder.
- Prepare of Toppings (grilled zucchini, avocado + smoked salmon).
Temari sushi are gorgeous and always delicious! Sushi rice is not just for making sushi! Another cool way to use it is making Onigiri, aka Japanese stuffed rice balls. They are easy to make and are Variations on traditional Japanese sushi like temari-zushi and maki-zushi have inspired chefs and artists alike to create edible works of art that are.
Temari sushi (sushi balls) instructions
- Add sushinoko powder to cooked rice while still warm. Mix well and let it cool. (Sushinoko powder – powdered sushi flavoring bought at Mitsuwa supermarket, Japanese store in San Jose).
- Prepare toppings. <Grilled zucchini> Slice zucchini and grill them as desired. Olive oil is a nice touch when grilling. Gently salted and peppered. Completely cooled before making sushi balls. <Avocado + smoked salmon> Peel avocado skin and take pit out, and mash them. Add drops of lemon juice to avoid avocado getting brown and salt mashed avocado (just a hint). Cut smoked salmon in small pieces..
- Spread Saran Wrap (or a similar product) over palm (about twice as big as your palm). Place a topping right in the middle. Place 2 tbsp of flavored rice on top, and wrap it to a size of golf ball..
- FYI – Sweet sour sushi rice is usually made with cooked white rice mixed with vinegar, sugar, salt (+ konbu, a type of sea weed). I personally like using Sushinoko powder to avoid rice getting too wet. Specially, it’s easy!.
- FYI – Temari means Japanese traditional handballs..
- FYI – Toppings are usually (traditionally) sashimi fish. But you could try anything you like – cooked meat, pickled veggies, corned beef, ham, SPAM, cooked egg etc. Try your ideas and let me what you liked!!.
Prepare and cook the sushi rice. To make it easy to form the balls, use some cling film cut into quarters. Now put each of the selected toppings (salmon, mackerel, thin cucumbers slices, tuna.) into the middle of a cling film piece. Temari Sushi is a casual sushi you can make at home and is named after the children's toy ball. Today I'm making temari sushi, AKA sushi balls.