Indian Baklava. Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Randy Mon. Baklava, for example, is claimed by both countries. Greek and Turkish cuisine both built upon the cookery of the Byzantine Empire, which was a continuation of the cooking of the Roman Empire.
Baklava is a rich, sweet pastry made of layers of filo This baklava is flaky, crisp and tender and I love that it isn't overly sweet. Baklava is a Middle Eastern specialty. Baklava is made in many shapes I decided to make them in rolls. You can cook Indian Baklava using 13 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Indian Baklava
- It’s of Saffron Syrup.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of water.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of sugar.
- It’s 1/8 tsp of saffron threads.
- You need 4 1/2 tsp of rose water.
- Prepare of Baklava.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of raw walnuts.
- You need 1/2 cup of raw almonds.
- It’s 1 tsp of cardamom.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of nutmeg.
- Prepare 1 pkg. (1 lb.) of frozen filo, thawed.
- You need 1 cup of ghee.
- It’s 3 tbsp of shelled unsalted pistachios, finely ground.
Instead of honey I used sugar to glaze and flavored with cardamom. Buy baklava online at low price in India from Almond House. Choose from a variety of baklava sweets stuffed with different dry-fruits and filled with honey. Baklava pastry recipe, layers of phyllo dough filled with honey, walnuts and pistachios.
Indian Baklava step by step
- Crush saffron with a mortar and pestle or on a plate with the handle of a wooden spoon. In a small saucepan, mix sugar, 3/4 cup water, and the saffron. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until liquid is reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 5 minutes. Let cool, then stir in rose water..
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a food processor, whirl walnuts, almonds, cardamom, and nutmeg until nuts are coarsely ground..
- Unroll filo with a long side facing you and cut in half into two 9- by 13-in. pieces. Stack pieces and cover with a kitchen towel to keep from drying out..
- Brush bottom and sides of a 9- by 13-in. baking dish with ghee. Peel off 1 sheet filo, lay in pan, and brush with ghee. Layer 12 more sheets on top, brushing each with ghee (it's okay if some sheets are torn or not fitting evenly in pan)..
- Sprinkle half the nut mixture over filo. Lay another sheet of filo on top, gathering it to fit into pan and brushing with ghee. Repeat with 12 more sheets of filo, buttering each. Sprinkle on remaining nut mixture. Layer remaining sheets of filo on top, buttering each as before..
- Cut baklava into 32 squares. Bake until top is golden and crisp and edges pull away from pan sides, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours. Cool pan on a rack 30 minutes..
- Pour saffron syrup over baklava. Let sit to absorb most of the syrup, at least 3 hours (overnight is better). Sprinkle each square with 1/4 tsp. ground pistachios..
Baklava is a delicious phyllo pastry popular in Middle Eastern countries. Its supposed origins are Turkish, dating to. With this baklava recipe video, you will learn how to make baklava dough, filo dough, and walnut baklava! This recipe is the traditional recipe to make. Greece meets India in this filo pastry, fragrant with warm spices and a hint of rose.