Refried Beans Vegetarian and Vegan. Author: Chris @ Sweet Simple Vegan. After trying these, chances are you'll say goodbye to canned refried beans forever. It's naturally gluten-free, vegetarian and can also be made vegan if you'd like.
Substitute cheese with vegan cheese for a hearty vegan fare. Can dinner get better than this?? I forget to add that I used homemade pinto beans also that I refried with a little bit of onion powder. You can cook Refried Beans Vegetarian and Vegan using 9 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Refried Beans Vegetarian and Vegan
- It’s 1 lb of dried pinto beans.
- It’s 1 of small onion, whole but peel this one.
- Prepare 3 cloves of garlic, whole don't peel these.
- It’s of Salt.
- Prepare of Another small onion, peel and rough chop this one.
- Prepare 2 of more cloves garlic if small use 3, peel & coarsely chop these.
- Prepare of Good tasting vegetable oil that you like.
- You need of Salt and pepper.
- Prepare of Water.
Homemade tastes so much better than canned! Homemade refried beans are often made with bacon fat, lard, or butter. Place the beans in a large saucepan, and cover with an inch of water. We blend organic pinto beans with traditional spices and a hint of onion and garlic for this classic Mexican dish.
Refried Beans Vegetarian and Vegan step by step
- Soak beans in water to cover overnight. Drain and rinse well. Using fresh water and large pot, cover beans by at least 4 inches of water, bring to boil, add a Tb salt, 1 small onion (peeled but not cut), and 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled. Lower heat, cover, and cook beans until soft, about 90 mins – 2 hours. Drain beans and discard onion and garlic. Do not omit this step. You must remove it all..
- In bowl of lg food processor, add 1/2 of the beans, 2/3 cup water, second onion, & garlic cloves, 2 tsps salt & little pepper. Process to a thinnish pasty mixture. (Next batch will be thicker mixture). Put 1st batch in lg bowl, set aside..
- Second batch will be beans & water only. Put the rest of beans in processor, add 1/4 cup water and process until very thick mixture where you have a choice here to leave it a bit chunky to get a bite or add more water and process until smooth. 2 batches will have 2 different consistencies. Mix both together..
- Heat 2 Tbsps oil in very large skillet. Add beans, stir and cook beans about 15 mins, keep stirring, adding more water if needed to get correct consistency. Taste and adjust salt..
- Serve with anything you like. Tomatoes, diced onions, lettuce, cheddar, sour cream, salsa, chopped chives, olives, jalapenos, candied jalapenos, my new fave, etc..
Wrap these up in your favorite burrito or enjoy them on the side. Gluten free/dairy free/lactose free/soy free/tree nut free/vegan/kosher/plant based (Light in Sodium also available). These easy Crock Pot Refried Beans are a happy new staple around here. Creamy refried beans from scratch, right in your Crock Pot! With a simple list of ingredients, these lard-free vegetarian and vegan refried beans are a cinch to make.